Friday, September 14, 2007

A Deeper Look

Each week in this spot, I’ll go through a couple of key games in a little more depth than in my main weekly writeup. I don’t claim to be the most knowledgeable football mind in the world, but every now and then I have an idea of what’s going to happen on the field. I’ll try to get this post out a little bit earlier in coming weeks instead of the day before the games, but here goes nothing.

Tennessee at Florida

Tennessee wins if…..
If Erik Ainge has time to throw and completes 75% of his passes. This game is going to be a shootout in my opinion (and in the minds of lots of other folks as well) and I don’t see Tennessee consistently moving the football on the ground like they have in years past. Rumor on the street is that Florida has a poor defense, and that may be true, we shall see. But I’ve got a sneaking suspicion that we’ll see the Florida defensive front put some heat on Ainge, and that could be the difference in the game.

Florida wins if…..
Tebow doesn’t suffer early game jitters. This is his first big test as starter, against archrivals Tennessee no less, and in one of the most important SEC games of the year. If he finds his feet early, the Gators should be able to score quickly and often. If the defense can stop Tennessee just once in the first few drives of the game, Florida could take a two possession lead out of the first quarter. An early lead to keep the crowd in the game and keep Tebow and Co’s confidence high should be enough to win the game.

My pick: Florida 38, Tennessee 34

Boston College at Georgia Tech

BC wins if…..
The offensive line handles the blitz well. I’m sure Tenuta will bring pressure on almost every down, and it all depends on BC’s ability to pick up the blitz in order to allow Ryan to be successful. He’s going to need a big game if they are to win this game, and if the line doesn’t do their part, he’s got no shot.

GT wins if…..
Tashard Choice is able to run the ball successfully. I wasn’t impressed with Taylor Bennett in the ND game, and the Samford game doesn’t provide much of an indication of actual ability. He needs a successful running attack in order to be an efficient passer. But the main benefit of Choice having a big day will be that it will help rest the defense and give them their best opportunity to stop the dangerous Matt Ryan.

My pick: GT 21, BC 13

That’s all from me for this week. Some big games this weekend, hopefully everyone will get the chance to watch a lot of the action.

No comments: